Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Siblings

At age four I had a one year old brother and a newborn sister.  We would remain a threesome for seven more years before we turned into four.  And we are as different as we are alike.  I take pride in my siblings.  In their accomplishments in life.  In their dedication to God.  Brother # 1 is a gospel preacher whose memory of the scriptures is astonishing and his capacity to preach God's Word is undeniable.  My sister is a talented, efficient business woman who has the "touch" that makes even the dull and drab look shiny and new.  And although the consumate business woman, she is never lax in her duty to God.  Brother # 2 is a skilled optomitrist but also the family geneologist.  He has taken up the task of making certain our children and our children's children know our grandparents and therefore our "history" by researching and then writing books about their lives.  He also has a well honed memory of the scriptures and uses that memory to God's glory.  So what about me?  I am the educator.  For me it was never "this is the answer" because there always had to be a "why?".  My duty is to teach students to read and comprehend so they have no excuse for not knowing God's Word.  We are free moral agents.  That means we have the ability to decide whether to follow God or not.  The ability to comprehend what we read means we cannot blame our lack of knowledge about God's Word on someone else.   Also, an educated population is a free population.  Tyranny cannot rule when the populace is educated.

No comments:

Post a Comment